Monday, March 10, 2008

Diary from Milford to Woodpecker Bay


Catching Fur Seals on film (Courtesy: Belinda Mulvaney)
Babs in Milford Sound (Courtesy:Belinda Mulvaney)
10 March: Yesterday Monday I had a interesting day. We were at the mouth of Greymouth at seven o clock just to see the fishing boats coming close to the bar but getting out on the sea again because it was too rough. We waited for the tide until almost eleven o clock and then I decedid to go. No fun. Still a little bit of a challenge so to say. But it worked fine. According to the local weather it should be sw winds. But I did get northerly winds. Hard work. And the sea was not very nice with big swell and terrible breaking surf waves everywhere. I realised that either I had to focus and work hard to go to safe landing in Woodpecker Bay or I had to go ashore and fore sure be in a very bad landing situation. It looked so bad. But I was running out of time... It was getting late... But I did arrive to the bay just before dark and there was Paul, John , Deb and Jim waiting for me. I was a very happy girl!

This morning it is perfect paddle weather but at midday it is going to blow n winds 40 knots. And the landings are so bad so I need 6 til 8 hours to next good landing. And good landing here is the same as a landing you are not risking to get hammered. So ashore today. And weather tomorrow is 25 knots sw which could be good but sea is going to be rough. Thursday looks better. Well, slowly getting there. And maybe my wounds can heal...

I am so happy that people are nice helping me, thank you!!!
Below is text Babs sent from her diary in her Sonim XP telephone:

Söndagen den 9 mars. Det blåste en frisk vind om morgonen och jag bestämde mig för att ta en vilodag för att låta såren börja läkas. Det blev en stillsam dag i Pauls och Johns sällskap med god mat, efterlängtad musik och intressanta berättelser. Och läst alla uppiggande kommentarer på hemsidan! Stort tack för all support!
Sunday 9th of March: There was a fresh wind in the morning and I decided to tak e a rest day to let my wounds begin to heal. It was to be a calm day in Johns and Pauls company with good food, some music and some interesting stories. And I got a great lift from reading my comments on the web, big thanks!

Lördagen den 8 mars. Det skulle blåsa upp kraftigt under dagen men jag hann få en kort paddling in till Greymouth med sällskap av delfiner. Och möttes vid hamnen av Paul och John som skämde bort mig med en härligt kall öl. Ännu en delsträcka var avklarad! Sedan var det dags för mig att få mina inflammerade sår på fingrar och rumpa besiktigade av en sjuksköterska. De hade gjort skoningslöst ont under de senaste dagarna. Höger hand var kraftigt svullen och värkte kraftigt. Men ont krut förgås inte så lätt...
Saturday the 8th of March: It should become quite windy during the day, but I got a quick paddle in to Greymouth with the company of Dolphins. And was meet in the harbour by Paul and John who spoilt me with a beer. Another section cleared! Later it was a visit to Nurse to have my infected sores on my fingers and bum looked at. They had become incredibly painful the last days. My right hand was very swollen and ached painfully.

Fredagen den 7 mars. Till motsats mot gårdagen fick jag härliga vindar under hela dagen och lyckades dessutom ta mig torrskodd iland genom vågorna. Kan man få en bättre paddeldag än så?
Friday the 7th March: Oposite to yesterday I had great winds behind me all day and came into land nice and dry through the waves. Can it be better?

Torsdagen den 6 mars. Det skulle inte blåsa mycket under denna dag men efter bara en kort stunds paddling fick jag en stark motvind. Och några timmar senare valde jag att gå iland. Senare under dagen kunde jag fortsätta till Greens Beach med vackra vattenfall.
Thursday the 6th March: It should blow to much during the day, but after a short paddle I got a strong head wind. And a few hours later I choose to into land. Later it claamed enough to continue to Grens Beach with a beautiful waterfall.

Onsdagen den 5 mars. Det skulle blåsa en kraftigt sydlig vind men om morgonen var det så oförskämt lugnt att jag bestämde mig för att försöka ta mig till Okarito. Och väl där stod Paul glatt vinkande på stranden! Strax därefter tilltog vinden och istället för fortsatt paddling blev det en trevlig stund på land med mycket prat om hav och paddling.
Wednesday the 5th March: Strong southerly winds forcasted, but the morning was embarrassingly calm that I decided to try for Okarito. And there stood Paul waving happily from the beach! Son after the winds did pick up and instead of continuing paddling it would be a nice talk about the sea and paddling.

Tisdagen den 4 mars. En underbar paddelmorgon med vackert väder, lekande delfiner och ett varierande landskap med sandstränder, grönskande skogar och snöklädda berg. Gjorde dessutom en ovanligt lyckad landning bland kraftigt brytande vågor!
Tuesday the 4th March: A wonderful morning with beautiful weather, playful dolphins and a changing landscape with beaches, green forests and snow covered mountains. And lucky and happy landing amongst some large and powerful waves!

Måndagen den 3 mars. Fick hjälp med att ta mig ut om morgonen. Väl ute på vattnet dröjde det inte länge förrän jag fick en otäckt stark vind från öst. Seg paddling men ville inte gå iland längs denna sträcka igen så jag kämpade på. Under senare delen av eftermiddagen lugnade vinden sig och jag fann en säker och vacker strand med små vattenfall.
Monday the 3rd March: Had some help getting out this morning. It did not take long till out in the water that a strong nasty east wind started. Slow paddling but did not want to go into land along this section again. So I fought along. Later in the day the winds eased and I found a safe and pretty beach to land on complete with a little waterfall.

Söndagen den 2 mars. Vinden hade mojnat och jag var på vattnet innan det ljusnade. Jag kämpade mig fram i en envist stark vind snett emot mig och lyckades så småningom komma fram till Jacksons Bay. Nu lämnade jag det isolerade vindutsatta Fiordland för ett nytt landskap med mer bebyggelse och elaka brytande vågor. De brytande vågorna fick jag snart känna av för det var en blöt Babs som kom iland om kvällen men blev varmt omhändertagen av en paddelfamilj från Zambia!
Sunday the 2nd March: Wind had calmed and I was out before it became light. I pushed against a stubborn strong 90 degree wind against me and later I came to Jackson Bay. Now I had left the isolated wind stricken Fiordland for a new landscape with large surf to contend with. Those waves resulted in a wet landing but I was warmly taken care of by a paddling family from Zambia!

Lördagen den 1 mars. Kraftig vind och regn utan uppehåll. Vilken meningslös väntan! Men kanske bättre väder nästa dag?
Saturday the 1st March: Strong winds and rain! What meaningless waiting! But maybe better tomorrow?

Fredagen den 29 februari. Regn och kraftig nordlig vind som tilltog kraftigt under natten. Regnet fullkomligt vräkte ner och vinden slet i tältet. Det blev inte mycket till sömn...
Fridat th 29th Febuary: Rain and and powerful northerly wind that came up during the night. Rain pored down and tried to tear into the tent. It wasn’t much sleep tonight…

Torsdagen den 28 februari. Den nordliga vinden hade växt sig allt starkare och det såg knappast ut att bli någon paddling denna dag. Åter fast på en isolerad strand medan vinden ruskade i tältet och regnet ihärdigt strilade ner. Kanske dags att ge upp?
Thursday the 28th Febuary: The northerly wind had grown strongere and there would be little chance of paddling out this day. Still isolated on a desolate beach with gusterly winds and rain. Maybe time to give up?

Onsdagen den 27 februari. Jag vaknade sent och konstaterade att det var en hanterbar motvind. Men jag mådde inte bra, somnade om och vaknade först sent om eftermiddagen.
Wednesday the 27th Febuary: Woke late and saw it was a possible headwind I could cope with. But I did not feel well, slept on and woke next after lunch.

Tisdagen den 26 februari. Upp tidigt och fortfarande mörkt när jag gav mig. Halvbullrigt hav och var väldigt nära att bli omkullvräkt av en våg. Trots att jag var trött fortsatte jag eftersom jag inte hittade någon lämplig plats att gå iland förrän Barn Bay. Och även denna landstigningsplats hade jag kunnat vara utan...
Tuesday the 26th Febuary: Up early, still datk when I launched off. Tricky seas and nearly wiped out by a wave. Despite this I continued as there ws no place to land safely until Barn Bay. BUT even this landing I could have been without!

Måndagen den 25 februari. Vädret såg ut att lugna sig och av det bar till Milford. Fick en vacker paddling genom sundet tillsammans med Belinda och Stanley. Och en härlig stund vid elden innan läggdags.
Monday the 25th Febuary: Weather looked as if it was to calm. Had a beautiful day of pdling through Milford Sound with Belinda and Stanley. And a nice evening with a fire before sleeping.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bra jobbat. Farligaste och bästa biten kvar: Då man är nästan slut och vill fram och fattar trötta beslut. Samla kraft för sista delsträckorna. Det går vägen.
Hälsn. Micael

March 11, 2008 at 12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home